Patches 101: the Woven Patch September 13, 2018
The woven patch is a patch that’s driven by the need for precision, whether fine details or small print. Unlike printed patches, it doesn’t take a shortcut through simple printing — exacting details are woven right into the design for a clean, stylish look that adds starch to any fashion brand’s reputation — its primary user. But if you’re looking for something a little more specialized than just “fashion”, we suggest you check out our rundown on all seven styles.
• Affordable— woven patches are easy to make, no matter how complicated the design (it’s all the same to our machines). That means the price breaks come sooner and more often than with other patch types.
• Versatile — in addition to their ability to accommodate almost any design, woven patches are nice, flat and flexible – perfect for beanies, shirts, jackets, backpacks and more. Their tightly-woven threads can put up with a lot of abrasion and abuse before fraying — and you can add a merrowed border to prevent abrasion with a protective and stylish raised edge.
• Washable — don’t be afraid to wash bags, shirts jackets and more if they have woven patches. Their tight weave puts up with wash cycles just fine and they retain colors better than a printed patch. Just make sure you’ve sown them on or had them made with an extra-strong iron-on adhesive.
• Fast turnaround — great for last-minute projects due to the ease of manufacturing them. Our trusty patch “looms” love big quantities.
• Not textured — printed patches are two-dimensional and don’t provide to “pop” of embroidered patches. For some though the woven texture itself is attractive, especially for interior patches or on surfaces where they might catch on objects.
• Not waterproof — while able to put up with rain and snow, woven patches are ultimately thread and ink, and shouldn’t be used in situations where they’ll be submerged often and could mold — and after very frequent washing, the ink is susceptible to fading just like that favorite t-shirt. They’ll also retain paint from paintball matches. On the other hand, can go swimming and paintballing all day long with no permanent effects.
• Not photorealistic — if you’re looking for a degree of detail resembling a photo, you’re better suited to work with printed patches, which allow a faithful reproduction of any image you have directly on the fabric.
Woven patches are highly fashionable and go well with any brand image. Additionally, they don’t seem as “patchy” as embroidered patches, allowing them to be all-class as easily as all-fun. Due to their affordability, they’re a popular option for up-and-coming fashion brands as well as established ones — but they also make for great swag for bands, corporate giveaways, non-profits and more.
Whether you want just one or one thousand, The/Studio is the premier destination for custom printed patches. Check out our showroom and get a FREE quote or visit see what other patch styles we offer in our introductory lesson, The 7 Kinds of Patches.