There’s nothing that screams high-class fashion more than custom cufflinks. Here’s how to make your own!
We probably don’t have to convince you that cufflinks are chic, but we will anyway. Cufflinks are the perfect accessory to accompany any suit. They might be small, but they make quite the fashion statement. Cufflinks remain an essential accessory for men, and sure, you can go with boring old cufflinks, but when you make ‘em custom, you add an extra touch of class!
In 2021, GQ did a fantastic article about the do’s and don’ts of cufflinks and we were paying attention. We agree with all of the points GQ made… EXCEPT for one. They got one of their don’ts very wrong. They said DON’T wear a novelty pair of cufflinks. WRONG.
What do they know? We’re here to prove them wrong.
Why are Custom Cufflinks Chic?
So what makes custom cufflinks so chic? Well, they allow you to show off your unique sense of style. Everything else about a suit is designed to adhere to a specific sense of collective style. Suits are suits. They’re symbolic of conformity and authority for a reason.
Custom cufflinks allow an infinitesimally small part of your formal wear to showcase your individual tastes and personality. Everyone wants to wear something that shows off their interests and there is something so special about wearing something that no one else has. Sure, tacky novelty cufflinks aren’t a great idea, but if you make a nuanced, high-quality pair of custom cufflinks, you’ll really stand out from the pack.
Ordering Custom Cufflinks
Now that you know just how chic custom cufflinks are, here’s how you order them. First, you will need to find a company that specializes in custom cufflinks. You can start with a Google search, and identify about five to 10 companies that you could work with. To narrow down your search, you should start reaching out to them.
Here are some questions you should ask them to continue to refine your search:
What is your turnaround time?
What are the costs to make custom cufflinks?
Do you have an MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity)?
Do you offer free shipping?
Do you offer design help?
Do you offer special options?
It’s important to know the above information for several reasons:
- Turnaround time is key because you don’t want to wait months to receive your cufflinks. A lot of custom companies have great quality products, but very, very long turnaround times!
- You want to make sure that they are telling you ALL of the costs at the outset. You don’t want any surprises, so make sure there are no hidden costs!
- You don’t want to work with a company that has an MOQ requirement. That means you would have to order a certain amount for them to even work with you.
- Free shipping is important because shipping can be expensive, and add a significant cost to your order.
- Design help is crucial because an art department can assist with any of your design needs. Even if you already have a design, you want someone to be able to tell you if there are any limitations you should be aware of and make adjustments to the design if needed.
- Custom cufflinks deserve special details! Make sure the company you work with actually offers a custom service. If they don’t offer special options, then that’s not true customization.
Sounds Like a Job for Us!
Luckily, you’re in the right place already. The/Studio meets all the above qualifications… and then some!
Contact one of our Creative Specialists (in-house designers) or use the hands-on Create Tool linked below to begin designing your custom cufflinks!