Sewn patches are the perfect way to add character and originality to your accessories – especially hats. Even if you are new to sewing, it’s easy to attach a stylish custom patch onto a hat with no trouble whatsoever.
If you’re looking for advice, you’re in the right place. In this short guide, we’ll take you through everything you need and two critical methods of sewing patches. By the end, you’ll be an expert!
What You’ll Need
- A custom patch
- A hat
- Thread that matches the color of your patch
- Size 10 needle
2 Ways to Sew Patches on a Hat
Sewing by Hand
An age-old practice that dates back thousands of years, and anyone can do it! If you want to sew your patch on by hand, read below for our step-by-step:
- Start by positioning the hat on your head and looking in the mirror to decide precisely where you want the patch. You could regret your choice if you go straight into sewing without proper positioning!
- Next, glue the patch in position on the hat. This will ensure that it doesn’t change location while you’re sewing.
- Choose a thread that closely matches the color of your patch and thread it through your size ten needle. The amount of line you need will vary based on the patch size, but approximately 24 inches should be sufficient. Once threaded, tie a knot at the end to prevent the thread from coming loose.
- Place your thimble on either your right or left-hand middle finger (whichever is dominant). Turn your hat inside out and simultaneously move the needle through the cap and patch using your thimble finger.
- Don’t get carried away while pulling the needle through the hat and patch; take it slow. This way, you minimize the likelihood of tangles or the thread snapping halfway through.
- Sew around the entire border of the patch until it is securely attached. Then, cut the thread and tie a knot. Ensure the knot is on the inside of the hat so it won’t show when worn.
- You’re all done! Enjoy your freshly customized hat in style.
Using a Sewing Machine
Although slightly more complicated than sewing by hand, sewing using a machine is a viable option that could result in a stronger attachment. We’ve broken down the process below:
- Use either pins or glue to fix your patch in place on your hat. You could also use tape for this if you prefer.
- Thread the needle on your sewing machine and set the necessary stitch length. Either decorative or embroidery thread is perfect for this; try to match it to the color of your patch!
- Once set up, start sewing around the patch for a secure attachment. Sew a straight stitch around the perimeter before following up with a zigzag stitch.
- Remember to backstitch at the beginning and end of your stitching; this will ensure your patch isn’t going anywhere!
- Finally, cut off the excess thread from your project and tie a knot on the hat’s interior so it isn’t visible.
- Congratulations! You’re all done, and your patch is secured.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Sew Patches on a Hat?
Yes! And as we’ve demonstrated in this guide, it’s a relatively straightforward process. All you need is the right tools and patience to create custom patches for yourself or a whole organization. Don’t feel frustrated if you don’t get it right away. Sewing is therapeutic!
Are Sewn Patches Durable?
Yes, especially if you’re diligent when first attaching them. If you have used enough thread to secure the patch, it should stay on your hat for a long time with no issue.
Adding patches to accessories is a great way to spice up your look, express your creativity, and share your passions, so what are you waiting for? Get your first custom hat from The/Studio today!